Thursday, May 1, 2008

Rewarding

I love my job.
I often wonder if this is because I've truly found my calling, or because I'm the type of person to find happiness and meaning wherever I am. But what I do is a lot of who I am, and I can't imagine a different life than this one.

I always suspected I'd become some sort of doctor - I signed up for too many science classes in school and toed the line of nerd-dom too willingly to not acquire some letters after my name. (Interesting fact, etymologists, the word 'doctor' comes from the latin 'docere', meaning 'to teach', although somehow people confuse this noble word with 'someone who can prescribe me an antibiotic'. But I digress.)

I love being a chiropractor. I love that I earned my 'doctor of chiropractic' designation, but I am on a first name basis with most of my patients. I love that I am often a last resort - what an opportunity to really shine, when the 'typical' methods of rehabilitation have failed. I love proving chiropractic skeptics wrong. I love working with my hands, and I love making people feel and function better. This last point is the most powerful for me. I love when a patient returns to me and exclaims "doc, I don't know what you did, but I am SO much better!". You might not know 'what I did', but you've reminded me why I do it.

It is an awesome responsibility, this trust you place in me as your chiropractor, and I don't take it lightly. I'm honoured to doctor you, to teach you about your body, I feel privileged to help you reach your physical goals, I'm grateful for the opportunity to help heal you, and ultimately, I'm glad I know you.

1 comment:

  1. great blog.

    new post soon?

    all the best

    steak

    ReplyDelete