Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cravings

I think of myself as a knowledgeable and healthful person.  Candy bar bad, kale good.  I can pronounce quinoa and agave, and I know what to do with coconut oil (make popcorn!).  I peruse the internets for the latest health news and trends, and take everything with a proverbial grain of salt.  

So why am I feeling frumpish and lumpish and slumpish?

It turns out knowing and doing are two different things.  You can extol the virtues of hemp and chia seeds all day, and I do, but if you are talking with your mouth full of chips, you have poor table manners, and also you are full of chips.  Poor dining habits are a slippery slope; an innocent breakfast muffin proves to be a gateway carb, leading to a daily bagel habit, a late afternoon espresso and while I'm at it this chocolate cookie isn't hurting anyone... anyone but me that is.

I need help.

Enter Dr Jodi Larry.  Jodi is a naturopath and food cleanse advocate.  I like Jodi, and I like her work.  She believes, and I agree, that a cleanse should be about minimizing, simplifying, purifying.  Eating whole and healthful foods.  Her cleanse for life program does not entail buckets of supplements, powders, shakes, fasting or juicing.  Not that these things are inherently bad - just not what an effective and realistic cleanse should be.

For 10 days, I'll join a group of grumpy people (no coffee!) to scale things back a notch, break some bad habits, learn some new recipes and ways to be healthier.

We meet right before the July long weekend, and begin in earnest the Tuesday after.  The Monday before, I'll be toasting L'Chaim (to life!) with a cold glass of chardonnay.  L'Chaim! to breaking habits and L'Chaim! to ditching cravings.  Also, we aren't allowed to drink wine on the cleanse.  L'Chaim!

I'm anticipating that this will be a challenge, but I'm also anticipating feeling great and proud when it is done.  Because being healthy is what I'm craving most right now.

Want to join?  Our group is almost full, so act fast - contact me or Jodi today!




No comments:

Post a Comment